Monday 18 February 2008

Goodness, gracious me!

I went to visit the Singapore Nationail Museum last Sunday and I tell you, it's awesome giler giler. The Louvre Greek exhibition is amazing man. It's like you learn about Greeks' history and cultures, and their gods and heroes and what not. The statues look cool man. I mean for someone who has been fascinated by the ancient Greeks to come and see and learn about them, it's like orgasmic lah.

They have gods for like so many things: wilderness lah, love, war, nature, mercy, etc. Like cool right? Ya ya I know you know you know I know. But I'm sure you don't know the things I know from the exhibition. The things you know I know, the things I know you may not know, the things you may not know I know. So I know you know what I know you know. You know? No?

First things first, let's scrutinise Zeus. Yes the amoral bastard. I'm not wrong in calling him so because he is. Serious! You see ah, he seduced goddesses and mortals, slept with them, impregnate them, then bear almost no responsiblity to them, and have mistresses! You call that a god? Or even a leader? Rememeber...he is also the King of gods...?!

You can say that I'm rash but I don't care. Look at what he did.

And then ah, I was thinking hor...you say that dogs are men best friend right? Do you know that the gods often keep dogs as pets and as their protector? And the gods are always assuming human shapes? And they are nude? And they have a dwelling place? They have feelings. They fall prey to temptations.

Kinda make you think,"what's the difference between Man and god then?"

And also the culture. In ancient Greece, culture is religion. The things they do, the activities they participate in, the social system, everything. Their culture is considered as a religion to them. And then you start to think about the different Religions we got to know today: Islam, Christianity, Catholicism, Hinduism, Buddism...does culture influence them or do they influence culture?

Bear in mind the doctrines that were already present before such "official" religions come to face. And the ethos that shape communities. The intricate and complicated relationship between God and His people, Man and Culture, prayers and faith.

So which comes first? Religion or culture? Would religion then be relevant in this modern society, where people are more rationale and bound to goodness? The next question would then be: what is defined as "goodness"?

Well to me, trying not to preach here, goodness has no real meaning. How can we define goodness when we already know what it is? Do we need a definition, a guideline, to help us live? Can we not live by our principles and own judgements? It is too great a power to bridle using words. It has no form, no structure. It can neither be touched nor seen. It can definitely not be captured. How then can we conquer goodness?

Imagine this: You are in a place that has no beginning and no end. You don't know how far it spreads or how deep you'll fall, if you fall. But you know where you are. You see what is around you. You hear what is around you. You can take a point of reference, at the evry least. You have a spot to be safe in. And then you realise you are in this thing. And this thing is real, and you are in it. You are part of it. You are now, part of it. How would you feel?

I would feel controlled. Not intimidation. Nor fear. But secured and safe. As if you're in the arms of something that has forsworn to protect you. Protected, that's what I feel. And this sublime feeling is incomparable. I think this is goodness.

I think. I'm using my mind. My mind is where all these ethos and utilitarianism are stored and passed down from generation to generation. I have to think to feel. The mind has to activate the senses. The mind has to be probed. The arms that are protecting me are probing my mind. Goodness is tapping into me. So if people are using their minds more these days, we would not have to resort to violence. And killings. Wars and conflicts. What we need are intelligence and patience. And I believe this is the fundamental of all religions. All religion teaches us to be good. And to be good is to be within the circle of goodness. And goodness is all around. It's the current that's pushing Tme forward.

Goodness is always moving forward. It does not go back because it doesn't want to visit the debris of mistakes being left behind, pouched by History. And with it, it brings Time. Hence the phrase, "a better tomorrow."

The mistakes the Greek gods make are not to be repeated. I believe that is what history is trying to tell us. If even the gods are susceptible to mistakes, what about Man? Hence the implication here is that there is a greater power existing, dawning on us. And this greater power is the true, and only, God. Notice the diference in spelling for the Greek gods and God as we know today. Perhaps that is why the Greeks did not worship the gods they had, although I must say that whether these gods trully exist is questionable. But then again, the Greeks could simply be sculpting an embodiment a failed human, consumed by the power he's been entrusted with.

I stand by the notion that culture is religion, the latter is simply a more "official" term, and the Greeks are right is recognising this. Although some modernist may say that it's the other way round, I would not fault that claim. It depends on how you look at it. I prefer to look through the eyes of the Greeks.

Sorry if I sound like I'm preaching. I'm merely putting up a view to be disputed if you'd like to. But at least here me out: be good and standby goodness. It's God's embassy to us all.

Love ya'll

No comments: