Thursday 19 June 2008

...Gideous...

How do we analyse language? There are a few actually. Read a book. Talk to Someone. Or come up with your own hypothesis. Universally, we use a textbook written by linguists or psychologists to understand spoken, written, sign or body language as reference. For me, I refer to books like How Language Works by David Crystal.

From reading his book I learnt that lexemes form the basis of language, not words; words are simply arbitrary constants, they have no meaning on their own. It is through understanding what it's meant to represent then would the word have a 'meaning'. And we get this from the study of semantics - the study of word meaning. After which we come to study the sentence to get 'the sense' of what something mean or is being referred to. This is where discourse and pragmatics come into the picture. Discourse is the phrases/clauses where the 'meaning' of the sentence lie - expressed in either active or passive form - and pragmatics is the study of how the language varies according to the social context. Thus, affecting the general rule i.e. grammar. And through all these we get speech acts, or better known as conversation (as a mean as communicating).

I finally know what's my problem: everything! I don't know what to do or where to go with what is there for me to use. I am bad at choosing and deciding. So that's how I ended up as sounding 'clumsy'.

That aside, I don't know what to study later at university. I still don't know what's best for me. More time? Is it necessary?

But I learn one thing though: not to get too close to someone too quickly.

The following lines are from Elizabeth: The Golden Age

Sir Walter: Why do you speak like a fool when you are anything but a fool?

Elizabeth: A fool? Yes, I am a vain and foolish woman.

The following is taken from King Lear(2.4.62-78):

Fool: We'll set thee to school to an ant, to teach thee there's no labouring i'th'winter. All that follow by the noses are led by their eyes but blind men, and there's not a nose among twenty but can smell him that's stinking. Let go thy hold when a great wheel runs down a hill, lest it break thy neck with the following. But the great one that goes upward, let him draw thee after. When a wise man gives thee better counsel, give me mine again; I would have none knaves follow it, since a fool gives it.

That sir which serves and seeks for gain
And follows but for form,
Will pack it when it begins to rain
And leave thee in the storm.
But I will tarry, the fool will stay,
And let the wise man fly;
The knave turns fool that runs away,
The fool know knave, perdy.

Sometimes it's better to be the fool, then to fool one's self; it's more virtuous.

Love ya'll

No comments: