Thursday 17 January 2013

Alexander technique refelction

I'm reading a couple of books on the relationship between Alexander technique and voice while learning a little bit of it in school. I still don't understand why and how they are related. In the meanwhile, I am still exploring.

The technique is not about being in a posture or even an acting technique. It's a way of learning to move with ease and natural grace. It's about learning how to move with your own body. I read this from a master teacher's book (I will add her name later). And she told us that Alexander has 5 important perspectives he is strict about when learning his technique. (I will list them all later.)

Hence it isn't restricted to actors, dancers and singers or performing art teachers. it's for anyone and everyone. And ideally it can be applied to any situation. So I decided to test it out in kalari class.

Kalari is an indian martial said to predate shaolin wushu. And it has many animal poses that has been adapted for martial art forms (personally I still dont understand and see how it works for actor training). So some of the poses need good balance to stay in the form like the elephant pose that we have to constantly do. I gave it a try the first time and it worked. I'm no expert but I thought of the ear-shoulder-knee-ankle alignment, something that was taught in voice in neutral standing psoition. Not in the master teacher book. I havent gotten to that part, just started on it 2 days ago. However, when I try it again for the second day it doesn't work. And I wonder why is that so. I tried it again for later days but I can't find my balance point. Maybe I should read and research again.

No comments: