Tuesday 15 January 2013

My first experience and reintroduction with Alexander technique

I had an introduction and a couple of brief lesson on the Alexander technique prior to coming to lasalle under my singing teacher Wendy Woon. Wendy is a trained opera singer who has coached some of the local musical theatre actors and actors who wannabe able to sing. I was still a new person to the scene so I wasn't earning much (I was doing lots of crew and backstage work before coming to Lasalle Acting programme). When I finally decided on being an actor again I realised that singing is very important. And if I want to cast I need to have a more manly voice. My voice was 'naturally' high the I often get mistaken for a girl or woman over the phone (not anymore now). So I reckon that having singing lessons I can develop both a singing voice (I couldn't match a pitch at all) and a healthy speaking voice.

After a few lessons Wendy taught me the technique. And it improves my posture, breathing and overall feeling of how I carry myself (later on i read that working with the Self is very important to Alexander and of course mastering his technique). I was told to stand up straight - not straightening my spine because that's impossible - and look forward. Feet shoulder width apart and relax the shoulders. I was then asked where do I feel the weight of my body. I felt it more in the heels. She then instruct me to lean my torso forward a little, place my head slightly forward too and put the weight of my body on the balls of my feet (this is not 'the' way, but a way, told my biomechanics teacher, Li Xie, and voice teacher in lasalle, Aole, as different people have different body shape). And I felt lighter, more graceful and elegant! Convinced it was an effective and correct way, I kept working on this standing posture and habit of walking (of walking with putting the weight of my body on the balls of my feet). However, later on when I come to Lasalle I couldn't afford anymore singing lessons and I was taught a new way of standing and putting my body weight: on my heels! Because it's said to be stronger and more stable. I tried working against this and also my yoga training (I was actively doing yoga for 2 months straight, weekly with my very good friend, Rashita) but couldn't so I went back to my old habits of walking. It was not an effective way of walking and I didn't feel stronger or grounded but I went along.

This was last year. This year, just a couple of days ago I was reintroduced to the Alexander technique in voice class by my voice teacher, Aole. There are new discoveries. I will reflect on them and write them soon.

No comments: