Sunday 22 July 2007

Asian Boys Vol III: Happy Endings

Just came back from watching Asian Boys Vol III: Happy Endings with Izzy. Felt a lil ounce of guilt letting her go home alone. My parents were fetching me. But she should be ok. I mean why would all those hot and sexy young men wanna take advantage of her when their boyfriends are around?

What can I say? A beautiful play directed by a creative director and written by a talented playwright. It's brilliant, sentimental and sincere. I have nothing but compliments for the play. Unless you're gay, you'd not feel as strongly towards the play. The issues Alfian raised are pertinent; and cleverly phrased.

Some of which is about the Penal Code 377A (criminalising sexual relations between those of the same sex), Singaporean's conservative view on this taboo issue ( how irky they feel towards gay people despite loudly proclaiming to be a first world country who's mature and liberal), gayism is seen as a disease- a social ill- that has to be eradicated before it infest the pristine mind of innocent children of today and tomorrow, the unsupported fervent effort of gay activists and accentuating how beautiful gay love is- that it's not any different from the kind of love "normal" couples share with one another.

The play also shows how the changing landscape of Singapore isn't exactly a good metaphor for the changing mindset of its people.

Some compelling quotes:

"I am gay. He is not. Therefore, I let him have control of me because he is stronger."

"Being gay is less human."

"There's nothing we can do to change this."

(Pardon if I've misquoted.)

I can trully understand the play and connect with it. It's as if my life is being roleplayed right before my eyes. Such uncanny scenarios are both terrifying and exhilarating. I feel Alfian has managed to make the misunderstood understand gay people's stand and dilemma: that it's not an irksome and taboo issue to be spun around for a good laugh, by stressing on the pain we feel being stigmatised, hence the decision to stay in the closet as a mean of self denial and protection.

He speaks for gay people. He is their voice. Ironically, he is doing what Syl (a character in the play) has failed to do. Sadly, it's not heard by those who are supposed to. Instead it fall onto ears of those who are struggling to make themselves heard. The mistake is thus repeated, except that this time it's on a larger scale.

Another metaphor to describe the great failure for such attempts to cross beyond its expanding boundaries. Even after ten years, no change of perception is evident albeit the drastic landscape- an apt symbol, in my opinion to portray the massive and expanding external changes to blanket the burgeoning inside problem- changes.

Through this we can see clearly that the society at large is wearing a mask, to cover up an innate fear, and is actually suffering from some form of inferior complex. The character of Kenneth- a Humanities scholar from RJC who returned to Indonesia to marry a woman and become a father to two kids instead of staying in Singapore and defend his love which he had reaped with Chris (the protagonist)- represents this.

I can go on but I think I'll stop here. I wouldn't want this blog entry to be a literature essay. You guys should go and catch it. It will run till 29th July (next Sunday). Tickets can be purchased at www.sistic.com.sg or authorised sistic counters (check the website for their various locations).

Love y'all

No comments: